Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A Teacher's Response to Booking.com's Anti-Teacher Commercial by Alana Milich


I know this is minor compared with what's going on in the DOE, but it irritated me enough to write to Booking.com about their commercial.


Here is the text of my email:

After watching your ad in which a kindergarten teacher is letting her class run wild with no supervision while she contemplates her vacation choices, I am moved to do something I've never done before- write a company to complain of the image they are portraying of my profession. As a 15 year veteran teacher, I can assure you that my stress does NOT come from the students in my classroom. My stress comes from endless meetings forcing me to enact tactics that do not help my students learn and achieve; my stress comes from not getting a cost of living raise in 10 years; my stress comes from national figures who know nothing of public education working to destabilize our system in favor of private, religious, and for-profit charter schools that are free to discriminate against differently-abled children with no penalties.

Isn't there enough teacher bashing without you adding to the myth of the inattentive, non-caring, child-hating teacher?

If you want to show a teacher needing a vacation, how about showing one burnt out on caring too much? Giving of her own time and money to her kids while an uncaring administration makes ridiculous demands on her? That would be relatable and not turn off the 3.1 million public school teachers in the US.

Thank you,
Alana Milich

Update - Here is the reply from Bookings.com:

Dear Dr. Alana Milich

Thanks for your feedback.

We’ll be sure to pass it on to those relevant. At [link removed] we value all professions, including teachers, and this ad was only intended as a light-hearted bit of fun. We are passionate about connecting our customers with great stays, empowering them to experience the world in the easiest, most seamless ways possible, which this advert aimed to convey.
Kind regards,
--
Kyrillos Saeid
Customer Service Team

13 comments:

  1. I think that this is a good thing you decided to stand up for yourself. People do need to understand that us teacher never feel at ease when they are with kids, we even care about them when we are at home, we plan and schedule activities for them, we want them to be brave and educated. We want the students to know what is a case study and we want them be independent in their educational process. So, I hope you understand that ads are rarely focused on smart people and people who are smart enough won’t take it seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Badassteahers? Ha, you need to relax. It's a commercial. Taking yourself so seriously says a lot about how stressed you really are. The commercial was about making travel plans as stress free as possible, the hectic classroom was set dressing. No one was degrading your profession. As a teacher you'd think you of all people would be able to read between the lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't get it. This like many other media images disrespects US teachers, schools, and children...your children for the fun and fast buck. I have a great sense of humor...as a teacher as well...and this stuff just isn't funny. It's a cheap laugh.

      Delete
    2. I agree with the original poster. I am NOT a teacher but I take great offense to seeing a teacher who has NO control over her class thinking the most important thing in her life is a vacation, not assisting the children that she allowed to run rampant. Good teachers don't usually have classrooms like that, this one is a bad teacher representing ALL teachers and I don't find ANY humor in it at all.

      Delete
    3. I agree, everytime I see this ad I get angry, i'm not a teacher but it still makes me mad. she doesn't need a vacation, she needs a job where she would have to answer for her inability to do her job. I have grandchildren in elementary school and if their teacher was that bad he or she would be fired, not going on vacation.

      Delete
  3. Wow, teacher bashing.........really? Pat yourselves on the back. You really do listen and dissect those mindless and annoying commercials. So, if you consider booking.com was actually bashing your profession, then you must believe stepping on an ant is murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to see your lack of insight. You must be the kind of person who when people laugh at you and talk behind your back you think they are your friends. I see kids like you everyday (when you were a kid...you now seem to have grown into a cowering person) and I will even defend you/them. And this is the kind of silly exploitive humor used in American ads. The US seems to have become a nation that is fine with allowing businesses to laugh at them and they don't stand up. Stand up for yourself. In small and big things.

      Delete
  4. LOL...getting butthurt over this commercial is plenty of things, but badass isn't one. Get over yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stand up for yourself. Stop letting business laugh at you...in your face. I have many serious things to do...and people to help...but this one thing I can spend my short lunch break to complain about. Good work teach!!

      Delete
  5. This post isn't defending the honor of teachers so much as it makes us (really, mostly just you) look like humorless crybabies. I'm a kindergarten teacher teaching for 15 years who's accommodating a range of abilities and personalities, and I thought this ad was hilarious. Betsy Devos is doing way more damage to the profession than my need for a vacation. Go get overwrought over that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also emailed about the ad and got exactly the same response. The company must be responding to quite a few complaints. It was extremely insulting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I watched this ad many times with family and friends and we all looked at each other in confusion. Laughing at it and wondering if she took a vacation or was obviously fired. The ad shows the company is pretty simple minded. What they thing they are showing is not what it really shows. The woman they got a vacation booked for will clearly have her credit line closed and bills never paid since she has no job to return to. The ad is just so stupid on so many levels I can't go into it. And there are plenty of people complaining. Goop to know we are teaching US kids and not like the weak kneed above who called us names for complaining.

      Delete