BATs LEGISLATIVE TEAM WEEKLY UPDATE
Continue to fight against King's nomination due to be decided on 3/9!
BATS ARE ASKING EVERYONE TO STOP THE CONFIRMATION OF JOHN KING. HE WAS HORRIBLE FOR NEW YORK AND HE WILL BE HORRIBLE FOR THE NATION! THE CONFIRMATION DECISION WILL BE RENDERED MARCH 9TH
CALL SENATOR ALEXANDER AND TELL HIM TO SAY NO TO JOHN KING 202-224-4944. Here are some talking points
1. John King disenfranchised and marginalized the voices of parents in New York by calling them “special interests groups. “ http://dianeravitch.net/2013/10/14/parent-groups-in-new-york-call-for-commissioner-john-king-to-resign/
2. When John King resigned from New York parents reacted http://www.nysape.org/john-king-resigns-parents--educators-call-for-a-new-direction-from-the-regents-and-demand-no-interference-from-governor-cuomo.html
3. When President Obama made John King Acting Secretary New York Parents were warn of the impending catastrophe http://dianeravitch.net/2015/10/02/nysape-john-king-was-a-catastrophe-in-new-york/
4. Due to his refusal to listen to parents in New York State over 240,000 parents lost trust in the education system and refused testing for their children. http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2015/12/8586029/group-calls-parents-opt-out-local-assessments
5. The New York State United Teachers Association called a No Confidence vote for King in 2014 http://www.nysut.org/news/2014/april/ra-2014/nysut-votes-no-confidence-in-king-calls-for-his-removal
6. His display in the hearings of Chief Information Officer Danny Harris only solidifies King's indifference and incompetence to oversee our children’s education. https://deutsch29.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/more-transcribed-interactions-from-usdoe-cio-danny-harris-hearing/ and here https://deutsch29.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/investigation-of-usdoe-cio-danny-harris-video-and-transcribed-excerpts/
SEND OUR ACTION NETWORK LETTER WHICH HAS HAD OVER 2500 SENT TO SAY NO TO KING. https://actionnetwork.org/letters/say-no-to-john-king-as-us-secretary-of-education?source=direct_link&referrer=badass-teachers-association
ALSO CHECK OUT THE BATS ELECTION SCORE CARD HERE http://badassteachers.blogspot.com/2016/01/bat-election-scorecard-common-core.html
A controversial bonus plan that awards "highly effective" teachers based on their ACT/SAT scores faces a tough fight in the Florida Senate -- and that battle is bogging down a massive education bill that Sen. Don Gaetz wants to use as a vehicle to permanently extend the "Best & Brightest" bonuses. http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2016/03/best-brightest-teacher-bonuses-face-battle-in-florida-senate.html
Teachers are concerned about being paid after June 30 if the legislature ignores the state supreme court ruling to correct the school funding plan. http://www.kshb.com/news/education/school-finance-fix-nowhere-toward-being-done
MO legislature has passed paycheck deception with a veto proof majority http://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article63521757.html
Update from WA via WEA. McCleary still not funded and can has been kicked to next year. Randy Dorn not running for reelection as OSPI superintendent. Several candidates met with WABATs. https://www.washingtonea.org/ourvoice/
Testing Transparency passes House on unanimous vote- HB1537 passed the House floor Thursday on a unanimous vote. It is on calendar in Senate Ed next week.
School grading passes House- The same floor session saw passage of HB155, which would assign an A-F grade to every school. The bill was amended to make clear that a variety of factors are to be used, so it will not be exclusively TVAAS data.
Constitutional amendment passes subcommittee- HJR493, which would amend the state constitution to make clear the legislature has exclusive authority over all education issues, passed subcommittee and is on the full House Admin and Planning next week. This amendment is thought to preclude any and all present and future equity and adequacy challenges to school funding.
BEP bill set for next week- HB2574, which makes several changes to the BEP funding formula, is set for House Ed A&P sub next week.
Portfolio expansion bill to be heard next week- HB204 would expand the use of the portfolio model in teacher evaluations when they do not have access to individual growth data. It will be in full House Ed A&P next week.
Reverse parent trigger bill rolled to next week- HB858, which would allow a school set for ASD takeover to be retained by the LEA if 60% of parents petition the board, was heard in subcommittee and rolled on week. It will be heard again in House Ed A&P sub next week.
Tax credit scholarship bill set to be heard in Senate- SB2500 would entitle corporations to write off “gifts” or cash donations to public schools, charters, or the ASD off their franchise and excise tax bill. This type of program has been used in other states as a sort of backdoor voucher when applied to private schools. It will be heard in Senate Finance sub next week.
Testing cap bills in House and Senate- HB2378/SB2336 would place a cap on the amount of time students spend testing. They are both up in House Ed Instruction and Programs sub and Senate Ed next week.
It is also worth noting what is not on calendar for next week, which is HB2229. This is the payroll deduction bill, and it was expected that this would be run next week.
NY finally gets an educator on their state Board of Regents (education) http://www.wsj.com/articles/bronx-educator-to-be-tapped-n-y-regents-chancellor-1457140781